A map of Dublin from an Urban Sketcher's perspective.
- Would you like to sketch around Dublin, but you don't know where to go?
- Maybe you don't want to go to the usual tourist places?
- Or you'd like to sketch somewhere where you can get shelter from the rain?
- Do you like to drink and draw (coffee or something stronger)?
Well, we've been sketching on the streets of Dublin for 15 years. And we've compiled a map for you (and for ourselves too).
|(This is just a picture)|
You will find it on Google Maps, with just a little preview here below. Click on this link for the best experience: CLICK HERE.
What you will find:
- Over 200 locations
- Indoors and outdoors
- Cafés and pubs
- Central locations and further afield
- Some of our favourite spots
- Hidden gems
Most of the locations are accessible free of charge. Some may require prior arrangement to gain access.
Some questions you might have:
- Q: Why is the Book of Kells and the Long Room in Trinity not included? How about inside St Patrick's Cathedral?
A: Well, because you can't bring a group of 20-30 people to these places to sketch for free. But if you know someone who can give us free access to any of the wonderful locations in Dublin that we haven't listed here, write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We would love to hear from you.
- Q: I know a good location that should be added to the map. What should I do?
A: Email us at email@example.com or send us a message on WhatsApp if you're in our WhatsApp group. We will need:
1. Name of Location
2. Street address
3. Three lines describing why it's a good sketching location
4. 1 or 2 good pictures of the location that you have taken yourself (don't take someone else's picture from the internet)
- Q: I would like to sketch with Dublin Sketchers. What do I have to do?
A: Check our blog (you're here already, www.dublinsketchers.com) towards the end of the week to find out where we'll be sketching on the Sunday. And then, just turn up. We sketch every Sunday from 2pm to 4pm, then we meet and chat and look through each other's sketchbooks. It's free and everyone is welcome. Bring your own paper, pens etc.
- Q: I don't want to sketch alone
A: Neither do we. That's why we meet every Sunday. If you happen to be in Dublin on another day, contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we'll ask if anyone is available to sketch with you. Or DM us on Instagram.
This project was the brainchild of Pat McAfee. Marie-Hélène Brohan Delhaye just put it together. And of course this would not have been possible if it were not for all the sketchers who discovered and explored new and interesting locations over the years.
Photo credits: Pat McAfee, Brendan Brohan, Marie-Hélène Brohan Delhaye.
If you would like to see a larger version of this map, click on the little square at the top right of the black band (It says "view larger map" - best done on a computer), or better still, CLICK ON THIS LINK. It's a simple Google Map and works in the usual way.