Dublin Sketchers Exhibition

Just to lay down on the blog an idea that has been floating around amongst various people, and some of the ideas .....

- That we should have an exhibition.
- That people can exhibit if they want to.
- That we could approach the Print Museum about using their upstairs space (Mary has a contact there).
- That we could use the Loft, near Thomas Street. Suzanne has a contact there.
- It might be appropriate to have the exhibition around Bloomsday. Bloomsday 2010 is a Wednesday, perhaps we could launch on the Thursday.
- That there might be about 20 members of the group who might want to exhibit, and contribute to cost of hiring a space for a week.
- That we could design a poster.
- That we could charge €1 entry towards costs.
- That people could either frame their sketches, or we could hang them "washing line" style around the space.
- Could some pictures be "finished" and could some reflect the "sketching" nature of the group.
- Have a cool and groovy opening night....


Many other thoughts are probably floating around - any one want to put any forward here?

Jessica

12 comments:

Veronika Samlova said...

I think that is fantastic idea, J. I am up for it.

If you need any help with this exhibition), give me a shout.

Also would be good to link the Sketchers Group to Facebook? What do you think?

Veronika Samlova said...

Jess, here is my mob: 0833060769 if you need it.

Tracy O'Brien said...

We were proposing an exhibtion a few months ago but i didn't get around to planning anything as of yet. We will hold a meeting perhaps after Christmas when things calm down a bit, as it is hard enough to get people together in December.

Sketchers are already on facebook Veronika! It's a group - it should show up if you search for it or I will send you an invite! It is hard to manage updating all of the different sites though so it's not always up to date!!

Ciaran.L said...

Good idea; I think the only thing that I'd be wary about is charging for admission - that would deter the more casual browsers, I think?

Mary said...

I think it is a great idea Jessica. Hopefully the Sketchers will rally round. Re the print Museum, I don't think there is an entry charge there for exhibitions, I agree, it can be off putting to casual browsers.

SuzanneLindfield said...

News re: space in the loft - my contact said it cost their group around €500 to rent the space for approx 5 days, which is pretty good value consdering the amount of space there. We could add room dividers, or something in the middle to increase wall space. I was also in touch with someone who's exhibiting in he gallery space top floor of Powerscourt. They do a good deal for 7 days, around €800. However, there are only 2 walls available as they have a permanent exhibit.
With about 20 of us making an exhibition of ourselves, we can keep the costs low.
Enjoyed yesterday at IMMA - the yellow windows looked terrific on the way out!

sally said...

that's a great idea, it could be advertised on sites like creativeireland and scamp.

SarahOR said...

yeah I would be up for if it stayed on till the weekend (so I could see what I put up :))

Veronika Samlova said...

Guys, I am not promissing anything, but I will ask lads at work (I am working in property management department of Savills - estate agents) if there would be any suitable premises available for our exhibition.

TAW Admin said...

Great idea all I'd be up for helping to organise it too. Plus the framer I use has reasonable rates, Brendan Dunne of Capel Street, I'll be talking to him soon and could get an idea for bulk framings - will get back with some estimates for anyone interested. It would be a worthwhile goal to achieve a show for Bloomsday.Put the dublin sketchers on the map so to speak.

SuzanneLindfield said...

http://www.crowgallery.net/

Here's a link to another gallery that offers space to artists :O) €750 for 2 weeks in Temple Bar!

Mary said...

Looks like a good venue Suzanne. I notice some exhibitions held there are for a shorter period, so I take it the cost would also be in line.